God speaks to us through the Bible, and we in turn can speak to Him through prayer. As we do this, we become better acquainted with His glorious promises and blessings. This lesson should make Bible reading and prayer more meaningful.
1. Turn to the following passages in John’s gospel, and briefly summarize the statements Jesus made about Himself:
2. What does Jesus promise if you keep His commandments? John 14:21
3. What further help is promised in John 14:26?
4. What does Jesus ask you to do in John 13:34-35, and why?
5. Read John 21:1-6. Describe what happened in verses 3 and 6. What important lesson can you learn from these verses? What similar truth is taught in John 15:5?
6. As a believer, what is now your privilege? John 16:24
7. As you grow in Christ, your faith and confidence will increase, and you will pray with greater assurance. What are you promised in John 15:16?
God, the Holy Spirit, is your teacher, and He uses the Scriptures to teach you. As you continue to read, study, memorize the Scriptures and pray, Christ will become more real and you will find fulfillment in life.
1. Memorize these verses for Lesson 2.
Confidence in prayer: “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us — whatever we ask — we know that we have what we asked of Him.”
— 1 John 5:14-15
Victory through God’s Word: “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. … I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
— Psalm 119:9,11
2. Please continue now to the next lesson, “Obeying Christ.”